Skip to main content Facebook Twitter
Find an aged care home for you!  
On 1300 606 781

When can an older person call Centrelink?

Do you prefer an automated 24/7 service or speaking with real people during the week?

If you’ve ever wondered which days and times you can call Centrelink — look no further. [Source: Shutterstock]

If you’ve ever wondered which days and times you can call Centrelink — look no further. [Source: Shutterstock]

Key points:

  • Older Australians can contact Centrelink by phone on Monday to Friday from 8am to 5pm to speak with a member of the support team
  • The Centrelink older Australians’ phone line is 132 300


This edition of Aged Care Guide covers everything that you need to know about phone line contact service hours for older Australians. The following sections break down different phone numbers, their availability and their use, in addition to online resources that may be helpful alternatives.

Call now for an obligation-free chat regarding Financial Services options for you or your loved one with a financial services expert.

24/7 emergency support

If you are in a crisis or need urgent assistance related to your immediate health and well-being, please refer to the following emergency supports:

For 24/7 contact with a registered nurse: Healthdirect Australia – 1800 022 222

For 24/7 contact with a mental health triage service: Mental Health Emergency – 13 14 65

For 24/7 contact with emergency services, including police, firefighters and paramedics: 000

For 24/7 contact with suicide prevention support: LifeLine – 13 11 14

If you need help with accessing or updating your details on an after-hours basis, have no fear… The Centrelink phone self-service line is available to use 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

The ‘round-the-clock self-service line can be reached by dialling 136 240. You should write down your Customer Access Number and have your PIN ready before calling, as the automated system will require these details to identify your account. If you’re uncertain about your Customer Access Number, it is usually the same number as your Centrelink Customer Reference Number, however, they may be different in some situations.

As the system is automated — meaning ‘robotic’ — you may run into some difficulties using the 24/7 self-service phone line. If you’re hoping to speak with someone about any issues related to the self-service line, the service can connect you to a member of the staff between Monday to Friday from 8am to 8pm local time.

For more information about the different steps involved in Centrelink phone self-service, please visit the online portal to learn more.

Services Australia Aged Care line

The Services Australia Aged Care line is available on Monday to Friday by phone via 1800 227 475 from 8am to 5pm.

The Services Australia Aged Care line is helpful for older people seeking to learn about their aged care services and Home Care Package or aged care home costs.

Through the Services Australia Aged Care line, you can book an appointment with an Aged Care Specialist Officer who will help you to use the My Aged Care website and upload your documents, in addition to connecting you with specialised assistance.

The Centrelink older Australians’ phone line is available at 132 300 on Monday to Friday from 8am to 5pm.

The Centrelink phone line, as distinct from the Services Australia line, can be used to ask for help with accessing Age Pensions, Commonwealth Seniors Health Cards, Pensioner Concession Cards and the Financial Information Service.

By calling this number, you can speak with a Financial Information Service officer about options with your savings, investments and related arrangements.

Grandparent, Foster and Kinship Carer Adviser line

The Grandparent, Foster and Kinship Carer Adviser line is available at 1800 245 965 on Monday to Friday from 8:30am to 4:30pm.

This contact centre can help non-parent carers, such as a grandparent who is the primary caretaker of their grandchild — formally or informally.

Grandparent carers may be eligible for help with the cost of raising children, childcare costs, healthcare and Medicare.

By getting in touch with an adviser, you may be able to enquire about your eligibility and support with applying for appropriate support through MyGov.

For more information about family support, please visit the dedicated Payment and Service Finder to discover the options that are available to you. If you’re keen to learn more about the different types of support that you may be eligible for, please refer to the ‘What Payments’ section of the Services Australia website.


Do you find it easier to speak to a real person than an automated service? Let the team at Aged Care Guide know and refer to the Centrelink/DVA Forms online portal to learn more!

Subscribe to our FREE weekly e-newsletter for exclusive updates, news, and in-depth information.


Aged Care Guide is endorsed by
COTA logo
ACIA logo
ACCPA logo