Skip to main content Facebook Twitter
Find an aged care home for you!  
On 1300 606 781

What is My Aged Care?

My Aged Care is a Government operated website and contact centre that can help older Australians access Government funded in home support options, community care or residential aged care.

Last updated: August 2nd 2022
Once you are registered with My Aged Care, an aged care assessment will determine what type and how much support you need. [Source: iStock]

Once you are registered with My Aged Care, an aged care assessment will determine what type and how much support you need. [Source: iStock]

Key Points:

  • My Aged Care is the one place you are required to contact if you wish to receive Government subsidised aged care services
  • Once you have been assessed, you should receive a referral code to pass on to providers to get aged care services
  • My Aged Care is accessible via their call centre or through an online form on the website

It is considered the “starting point” to all Government funded aged care services.

The service can help you find information about subsidised aged care options including the different types of Government funded services available, eligibility for those services and the associated costs.

To receive the assistance you, a family member, carer or client representative require, you will need to register your details with My Aged Care.

You need to have an aged care assessment to determine your support needs before you can access any Government subsidised services.

My Aged Care then assigns you an Aged Care user ID and keeps a central client record – which will include your assessed needs and the Government funded care services being provided once you have been assessed.

What help can I get?

To help you live independently in your own home and community for as long as possible there are a number of support options available.

Depending on your personal situation and the level of assistance you need, you may be entitled to in home support through the Commonwealth Home Support Programme (CHSP) or a Home Care Package (HCP).

Services range from basic, low level support to more intensive, high level assistance but anything that helps you stay independent for longer can make a difference.

Care at home services could include help with personal care such as dressing, transport to appointments, nursing, help with meals and shopping, household jobs like cleaning or gardening, home modifications and mobility equipment, or access to social activities.

Short term support services such as respite care, Short Term Restorative Care or access to the Transition Care Program can also be accessed through My Aged Care, for example, while you recover from a hospital stay, or if you or your carer requires a break.

If your circumstances change to the point where living at home is no longer viable, My Aged Care can help access Government funded nursing homes that provides you with a supportive environment with 24-hour care.

All this will be sorted through a Regional Assessment Service (RAS) or an Aged Care Assessment Team/Service (ACAT throughout Australia or ACAS in Victoria only), which you need to organise through My Aged Care.

To find out what you need to prepare for your assessment, you can read out article, ‘Preparing for an ACAT/S assessment‘.

Aged care assessment

Once you are registered with My Aged Care, an aged care assessment will determine what type and how much support you need.

Based on the information you provide over the phone the My Aged Care customer service operator will organise an assessment through the RAS or ACAT/S.

This is a face-to-face assessment with a medical professional to identify if you require entry-level support at home or more comprehensive help.

If the information you provide during a call with the My Aged Care contact centre shows you require low-level support to stay at home, they will recommend a RAS home support assessment.

The outcome of a RAS assessment can lead to a variety of services under the Commonwealth Home Support Programme.

If the contact centre believes you require more than what the CHSP can provide, a more comprehensive assessment is undertaken by an ACAT/S assessor.

The ACAT/S assessor will determine whether you require a Home Care Package of some level, short term care options, or need to move into a nursing home.

The outcome of your assessment is based on your needs at the time of the face-to-face visit. If your circumstances change in the future, you will need to organise a reassessment through My Aged Care.

Referral code

Once you’ve been assessed by a RAS or ACAT/ACAS assessor you should be given a referral code.

The service provider of your choice will require this referral code/s to access your information and manage the referral.

If you need the support of multiple services, you will need multiple referral codes, one for each service.

If you are not given a referral code make sure you ask for one so you can discuss your needs with your preferred service provider.

If you have been found eligible for a Home Care Package there may be a wait time before a suitable package becomes available. You can learn more in our article, ‘Options while waiting for a Home Care Package‘.

Depending on how long it takes to receive a package and the level of care you require, you may be provided with CHSP funding to fill the gap while waiting.

You will receive a letter from My Aged Care to advise you when you have been allocated an available package and will start receiving funding for services.

Once you have a referral code you are free to start looking for a suitable service provider in home care or a residential aged care facility.

How to contact My Aged Care

There are two ways you can contact My Aged Care depending on your preference – phone or online.

You can call the contact centre on 1800 200 422. The centre is available from Monday to Friday between 8 am to 8 pm, and also on Saturdays from 10 am to 2 pm. The contact centre is not available on Sundays or on national public holidays.

If you are contacting My Aged Care from overseas, dial +61 2 6289 1555 during the office hours.

You are able to get someone to speak to My Aged Care on your behalf if necessary or have your doctor help you through the process. You can learn more in our article ‘Appointing a My Aged Care representative to act on your behalf‘.

If you are from a Culturally and Linguistically Diverse background (CALD) or are an Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander (ATSI) person, and require a translation or interpreting service you can call the Translating and Interpreting Service (TIS National) on 131 450 and ask to be patched through to 1800 200 422.

If you are deaf or have a hearing or speech impairment, you can utilise theNational Relay Service or call the NRS Helpdesk on 1800 555 677 and ask for 1800 200 422.

Alternatively, the My Aged Care website also provides information about aged care and the available providers and services. Visit the My Aged Care website to find out more.

An independent information source like can give a comprehensive overview of all care options and care providers available, and can assist you in your search for the right provider to suit your needs.

The also has an extensive list of providers and services that can help you find the best fit for the care or support you require.

How was your experience accessing My Aged Care? Let us know in the comment box below.

Related Content:

Urgent admission into aged care
Choosing a home care provider
Nursing home waitlists and finding a bed vacancy
Getting assessed and finding the right nursing home
Choosing between home care or aged care

  1. Your Journey:
  2. What is My Aged Care?


Aged Care Guide is endorsed by
COTA logo
ACIA logo
ACCPA logo