UCWB’s Assistance with Care and Housing for the Aged Program (ACHA) helps people 50 years and over who are on a low income or financially disadvantaged and are homeless or at risk of becoming homeless by providing support and finding stable housing.
We coordinate access to community care and accommodation support. All supports and linkages are based on the individual's needs & their particular situation. The ACHA program is designed to assist people to find sustainable housing whilst maintaining independence and so avoid premature entry into an aged care facility.
Services we provide include:
- Assessment of housing and care needs
- Assistance to identify housing options available
- Linkages to appropriate housing by assisting to obtain and complete applications
- Preparing support letters to assist with housing applications and status
- Referral to programs for the aged
- Referral to appropriate care needs providers
- Assistance to lodge grant applications to obtain essential living items (if eligible).
UCWB supports people living in the following council areas:
- City of Port Adelaide Enfield
- City of Charles Sturt
- City of Prospect
- City of West Torrens.
Who is eligible?
To be eligible for assistance through the ACHA program, recipients must be on a low income who:
- Are homeless
- May be at risk of becoming homeless as a result of experiencing housing related stress (for example rental accommodation is temporary or too expensive, new or ongoing health challenges are making independent living difficult or a crisis has occurred)
- Are 50 years and over.
All referrals must go through My Aged Care, however UCWB can provide a guided referral on behalf of the client.
UCWB accepts referrals from other organisations, health care providers, advocates and family members. People can also refer themselves. We will then assist by guiding people through the necessary steps and Government requirements to ensure their needs are met.
The ACHA program is funded by the Australian Government. The kind of assistance provided under the program will vary according to individual requirements. We maintain people's independence and choice, supporting them to achieve and maintain stable housing.