Skip to main content Clear Filters Yes Bathrooms Bedrooms Car parks Dementia Get directions Featured Zoom Back Article icon Facebook Twitter Play Facebook Twitter RSS Info Trending item Drop down Close Member area Search External link Email
Read about the effect of Coronavirus (COVID-19) in Aged Care here.
Australia's number one aged care website. Over 7000 Profiles!

Veterans Care

If you are a veteran, war widow or war widower, there are a number of age care services supported by the Department of Veterans’ Affairs (DVA) that you may be able to access.
If you are a veteran, war widow or war widower, there are DVA supported age care services that may be available to you (Source: Shutterstock)
If you are a veteran, war widow or war widower, there are DVA supported age care services that may be available to you (Source: Shutterstock)

In-home care

The Veterans' Home Care (VHC) program, introduced by the Department of Veterans’ Affairs (DVA) can help you with low level care needs to live independently in your own home for longer.

The VHC offers a range of services including:

  • Domestic assistance
  • Personal care
  • Home and garden maintenance
  • Respite care

Community nursing

If you have higher personal care needs or require specific medical assistance such as wound care or medication management a nurse from the Community Nursing program can come to your home to assist.

To receive these services you need to be referred for an assessment from a health professional such as your GP, a hospital doctor or discharge planner, or VHC assessment agency.

If you are not eligible for veteran specific home support programs you may be able to get help through the Government funded Commonwealth Home Support Programme or Home Care Packages program.

Residential care

Veterans have a ‘special needs’ status to support complex medical requirements that include the need for high levels of emotional and cultural support in old age, as a result of a veterans’ wartime experience.

The Government has introduced the Veterans’ Supplement, to improve access to residential aged care for veterans with mental health conditions.

Any veteran who lives in a Government funded residential aged care facility, and has a mental health condition/s accepted by the DVA is eligible to attract the Veterans’ Supplement.

This may include mental health conditions such as post traumatic stress disorder, other anxiety disorders, depression or substance misuse disorders.

The Veterans’ Supplement is paid directly to an aged care provider if you are eligible, and you or your authorised representative have provided consent to disclose your eligibility information to the provider. Payment is ongoing for the duration of the time you are in care. New consent will not be required if you change facilities.

For more information about veteran specific services call DVA on 13 32 54 or email


Read next

Placement consultants

  1. Placement consultants help you find the best aged care to suit your needs and will take you through the whole process

Talking Aged Care

  1. Your best source of the latest news, stories and articles about aged care.

Financial assistance

  1. Financial advisors and consultants will deal with the complex and time consuming financial issues relating to aged care

DPS Guide to Aged Care

  1. Our printed directory of all public and private nursing homes, low care facilities, community care and retirement living

Aged Care Guide is endorsed by:

Read more about endorsements
Have an aged care service you’d like to promote? Promote on Aged Care Guide