Our North Adelaide care home is the only residential facility of its kind, boasting an exclusive inner city location. In 1953 Reverend Arthur Strange purchased a building in Molesworth Street, the first building in North Adelaide to be used for aged care services. The historic building now encases a modern interior that represents contemporary practices in aged care.
There are a variety of regular activities on offer at North Adelaide, including a regular gentle exercise group, indoor bowls and art and craft groups. The classic big screen movies are always a hit, and special events such as musical concerts and outings are a highlight. Classical music sing alongs, bingo and quizzes also form a part of the regular activity program.
Residents are encouraged to personalise their room with personal belongings such as favourite chair, an heirloom quilt or a collection of family photos. They may also bring a small collection of plants and continue to care for them in the community garden or on their private patio.
The care home today accommodates 155 residents. Parts of the building are heritage listed and were the original structure of the first Helping Hand Home. Features of the home include:
- Contemporary and spacious single rooms with private ensuite
- Beautifully appointed extra services suites with bedroom, lounge room and private ensuite
- Short term stay visitor unit for family and friends
- Secure memory support wing
- Café, serving refreshments and light meals
- Penny Lane gift shop
- Grocery store
- Comprehensive library
- Unisex hair salon
- Interactive gardens, including seasonal fruits, vegetables and herbs
- Landscaped gardens and courtyards that incorporate seasonal colours, fragrances and textures
- Internet café
- Open plan communal lounge rooms
- Quality home-style cooked meals prepared on site
- Weekly church services and social activities.
Nursing home features
- Very large home (155 beds)
- Has extra service beds
Types of care
- Residential aged care
Extra services daily fee of $27.50
Helping Hand’s North Adelaide Residential Care Home accommodates 155 residents. Parts of the building are heritage listed and were the original structure of the first Helping Hand Mission. The historic building now encases a modern interior that represents contemporary practices in aged care. It is the largest of our residential sites. Our inner city location places us on the Adelaide City Council’s Free Connector Bus route, providing easy access to the city and surrounds. To find out more about our North Adelaide Residential Site call us on 1300 653 600.