Barbara Braithwaite, Principal Speech Pathologist at Braithwaite Speech & Learning Clinic, has been a Speech Pathologist for the past 29 years and has been treating and assessing clients for the past 25, in her own private practices in inner Sydney. She also spent the last 20 years involved in educating aged care nursing staff in the assessment and management of Dysphagia in residents.
She has developed an in-house DVD based training program that really works. She is deeply concerned with the problem of Dysphagia and sees first hand how difficult it can be to ensure aged care facility staff are properly trained to deal with this ever increasing health concern. She has cut through the red tape and misinformation, stepped forward and presented the truth about swallowing difficulties in aged care facilities....
It is an effective program that teaches you how to identify the causes of swallowing difficulties, the warning signs to look out for, the best way to ensure safe swallowing; and prepare food properly.
Here are some startling facts every carer should know:
- A swallowing problem or Dysphagia occurs in as many as:
- 45% of people over the age of 75
- 33% of residents in acute care
- 66% of residents needing long term care.
- An elderly person’s general health, ability to move safely and ability to manage their behaviour can be affected by their ability to eat and receive the correct nutrition
- An undetected swallowing problem can lead to dehydration, sickness and even death
- 40% of the elderly are what is called ‘silent aspirators’. This means their food may be going into their airways, without any outward signs of choking or coughing. This puts them at an extreme risk of getting a chest infection
- There are 19 signs to watch out for to ensure the elderly is coping with their current diet
- There are eight vital areas to ensure are covered:
- General health
- Poor oral hygiene
- Food acidity.
- Foods and fluids can be modified to ensure the elderly person is eating safely.
Contact us to find out more about the total education package or purchase at the online shop.