In 2010 the first baby-boomers turned 60. A landmark year for our ageing population.
As the aged population increases, more and more people will be faced with caring for a friend or family member with dementia. There are currently 250,000 dementia sufferers in Australia and this is set to increase to 1.3 million over the next four decades to become one of the countries leading health problems.
In this simple and clear guide for carers and families, Brian Draper, one of Australia’s leading experts on Alzheimer’s and dementia discusses the symptoms, treatment and management of the condition.
This book will demystify the condition and increase our understanding of why it occurs, the current treatments and how it may be managed both by professionals and those at home.
Filled with practical advice on therapies and drug treatments, Understanding Alzheimer’s & Other Dementias will be an invaluable tool for those worried about their own symptoms or those of a loved one.
01. What is dementia?
02. Prevention of dementia – general strategies
03. Prevention of dementia – specific strategies
04. The symptoms and course of dementia
05. Types of dementia
06. Dementia assessment
07. Drug treatments
08. Psychosocial treatments
09. Family and other carers
10. Community care services
11. Residential care
12. Ethical and legal issues
13. The future
Appendix 1 – Australian telephone helplines
Appendix 2 – Useful websites
Appendix 3 – Books for carers
- Presents the latest research on management and treatment of Alzheimer’s disease.
- A completely revised version of the book regarded as the bible on the topic.
- Author is extremely well known in medical and allied health fields.
- Written for in a non-medical style; designed to be understood by laypeople.
- Author will be speaking widely at conferences, and in the media on release in 2011.
About the Author
Brian Draper is a Conjoint Professor in the School of Psychiatry at the University of New South Wales, Sydney. He has been the Assistant Director of the Academic Department for Old Age Psychiatry at Prince of Wales and Prince Henry Hospitals, Sydney since 1992 and is Chair of the Australian Government’s Psychogeriatric Care Expert Reference Group and immediate Past Chair of the Faculty of Psychiatry of Old Age, RANZCP.
He is also the leader of the ‘Special Groups with Dementia’ node of the DCRC that covers research into dementia in persons from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds, dementia in Indigenous people, and younger onset dementia.
Author Brian Draper
Pub Date April 2011
Size 235 x 153 mm,328 pp