Commonwealth funds HACC services

From last Sunday (1 July 2012), the Commonwealth will directly fund Home and Community Care (HACC) services in all states and territories, except Western Australia and Victoria.

This covers people aged 65 years and over and Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people aged 50 years and over.

The Commonwealth HACC Program supports older Australians and their carers to be more independent at home and in the community. Your service provider will be able to tell you if they are funded under the Commonwealth HACC Program.

Alternatively, if you are not sure if the service you are receiving at home is a HACC service, some of the services funded through the Commonwealth HACC Program include:

  • nursing care, personal care, respite care and allied health care
  • meals and other food services
  • domestic assistance and transport
  • home modification and maintenance
  • counselling, support, information and advocacy

If you have a concern about a HACC service, you should first contact your service provider. Working directly with your provider can help you likely achieve a fast and sustainable resolution to your complaint.

Where the Commonwealth is funding HACC, you may contact the Aged Care Complaints Scheme (the Scheme) if you have a concern about a Commonwealth HACC service.

If you do not know who your service provider is, the person providing the service at your home should be able to tell you and provide you with contact information.

Your complaint is assessed against your service provider’s funding agreement with the federal government, which defines the quality of care they are required to deliver. Your service should not be stopped if you submit a complaint.

The process for the Scheme resolving HACC complaints will draw on the Scheme’s current approach, which was strengthened last year.

The new complaints framework takes a more collaborative approach to resolving concerns and includes more options for resolving complaints.

If you are unable to resolve your concern with the service provider, you can contact the Scheme.

If you receive HACC services in Victoria and Western Australia, these will continue to be delivered as a joint Commonwealth-State funded HACC program and existing complaints arrangements will continue.