Eden in Oz....transforming aged care
By combating loneliness, helplessness and boredom we reduce most of the suffering experienced by our elders or residents in Aged Care, through the Eden Alternative™.
There is one problem statement - Principle One - which is all about the three plagues of loneliness, helplessness and boredom. The other Nine Principles identify the challenges and the solutions to providing a person-centred care environment for all residents.
The 10 Principles are:
- The three plagues of loneliness, helplessness and boredom account for the bulk of suffering among our Elders.
- An Elder-centred community commits to creating a Human Habitat where life revolves around close and continuing contact with plants, animals and children. It is these relationships that provide the young and old alike with a pathway to a life worth living.
- Loving companionship is the antidote to loneliness. Elders deserve easy access to human and animal companionship.
- An Elder-centred community creates opportunity to give as well as receive care. This is the antidote to helplessness.
- An Elder-centred community imbues daily life with variety and spontaneity by creating an environment in which unexpected and unpredictable interactions and happenings can take place. This is the antidote to boredom.
- Meaningless activity corrodes the human spirit. The opportunity to do things that we find meaningful is essential to human health.
- Medical treatment should be the servant of genuine human caring, never its master.
- An Elder-centred community honors its Elders by de-emphasizing top down bureaucratic authority, seeking instead to place the maximum possible decision-making authority into the hands of the Elders or into the hands of those closest to them.
- Creating an Elder-centred community is a never-ending process. Human growth must never be separated from human life.
- Wise leadership is the lifeblood of any struggle against the three plagues. For it, there can be no substitute.
Definition of Elder: Born earlier: older person: elders are revered, honoured and cherished for their wisdom.
Through the Eden Alternative™, individuals and organisations can make a difference in the way we give and receive care to residents in Aged Care and Community Care environments.
Create a life worth living and join the Eden Alternative™ journey. Contact us for more information.